Everyone knows about Akismet, but there are a few good alternatives to that plugin for beating the spam disease. Lets take a look at a few of them.
Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin
A check is made that the checkbox has been checked before the comment is submitted so there’s no chance that a comment will be lost if it’s being submitted by legitimate human user.
Spam Free WordPress
Spam Free WordPress is a comment spam blocking plugin that claims to block 100% of the automated spam with zero false positives. It’s a bit of a bombastic claim, but try it out and see how it works for you.
Here are the features of this plugin:
- Automatically blocks automated comment spam
- Local IP address blocklist for manual spam
- Almost zero database load under the heaviest spam conditions.
- Zero false positives
- Option to strip HTML from comments
- No CAPTCHA
- Saves time and money by eliminating the need to empty the comment spam folder
- Option to automatically delete comments marked as spam, trackbacks/pingbacks, and unapproved.
Another plugin that has received a lot of rave ratings, and almost 500,000 downloads. Worth a try.
What plugin are you using to combat spam? There are mixed reviews on all the anti-spam plugins, so the best is to test them for yourself and see which works best. Spam doesn’t have to be a problem on WordPress blogs.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to subscribe to WP Mayor’s RSS feed.