I recently needed to implement a live chat plugin on a WordPress site, so I had to do the obligatory research for good plugins in this area.
It seems that there are quite a number of WordPress live chat plugins, however most of them are plugins that help you integrate a popular live chat service into your site, and not native WordPress plugins.
I still found a few major WordPress live chat plugins however, and I can recommend them to you:
WordPress Live Chat Plugin
My favourite plugin right now. Chat with your customers on your site for sales and support easily, and beautifully.
- You DON’T need to pay monthly payments
- Install on your own WordPress and start to use it
- Very clean code
- Cute skin (fully customizable)
- Create your own operators
- Chat logs, of course
- More than one operators can reply the same user’s question
- Visitors can fill out contact form when all operators are offline
WPMU dev WordPress Chat
This is a very nice WordPress and BuddyPress chat plugin. Just drop in this plugin, activate it and you can easily run as many live chats as you want, on any page or post on your WordPress, Multisite or BuddyPress site.
It includes gravatars, emoticons, logs and a raft of customization options – this plugin will cover all your needs.
Users and visitors can login with their WordPress or BuddyPress usernames, as public users and also via Twitter and Facebook.
Of course you can select how you want your users to login too.
And you can even run a ‘bottom corner’ chat to talk to visitors to your site – great for sales, engaging new users or adding to the sense of community on your site.
Visitors to your site just need to click on a small tab in the bottom right (that you can customize) and they can chat away.
Inserting a chat window into a page or post is simple too, there’s a straightforward button on the WYSIWYG editor, so this plugin is perfect for Multisite owners… no shortcodes required.
- Enable or disable bottom corner chat
- Turn chat sounds on or off
- Enable or disable avatars
- Enable or disable emoticons
- Choose to show date or time of posts
- Set the dimensions of chat windows
- Select every color of the chat background to match your site
- Select different fonts and font sizes to match your site
- Choose to create and display chat logs – great for SEO!
- Turn on and off login by public users, current WP users, Facebook and Twitter
- See bottom of this post for the different options windows
Definitely make sure to check out this plugin if you’re looking to add live chat to your blog.
Wise Chat Pro plugin for WordPress
Wise Chat Pro is an advanced and highly popular chat plugin for WordPress. The plugin requires no additional (or paid) server. You install it once and use it as long as you want.
The core features of the Wise Chat Pro:
- unlimited chat rooms,
- unlimited number of users (the real limit is you server limit),
- WordPress users authentication integration,
- external authentication via Facebook, Google+ and Twitter
- full appearance customization options, themes, avatars and mobile friendly interface,
- moderation and bans, flood control,
- role-based access control
- opening hours and days
- emoticons, sound notifications
- private messages between users,
- Multisite compatibility,
- bad words filtering mechanism,
- multimedia support – posting images, file attachments nad YouTube videos
- easy localization
- … and much more.
Comm100 Live Chat
Comm100 Live Chat is the enterprise-grade live chat software for website. Comm100 Live Chat enables you to have a 360 degree view of your website visitors and provide them with live support.
Its free WordPress chat plugin is specifically designed for you to quickly install Comm100 live chat software onto your WordPress site. With the WordPress Chat Plugin, you can have live chat monitoring code and the live chat button on your WordPress site pages with just a few simple steps. The live chat for WordPress will boost both your sales and customer satisfaction.
ClickDesk for the first time in the industry integrates live chat and voice chat directly into your IM – you can conveniently take chats and answer calls on your IM on computer or mobile phone. Receive chats, calls and email ticket notifications on Google talk or Skype.
Lite help desk allows you to manage all your emails and offline chats from a simple and quick ticketing interface. Optional Push2Call has a browser phone and provides local access number in more than 40 countries for your visitors to reach your business. Optional Help Desk allows you to manage all your customer emails easily.
What is ClickDesk live chat plugin?
ClickDesk social plugin lets you embed ‘Live Chat’ button, online and offline forms on your website to let your website visitors click to chat with you directly. Visitors can also make a call to your operator directly by using our free local access numbers in 40+ countries or from their web browser.
With integrated help desk, your agents can access all the emails and offline chats and answer your customer queries via email. Operators also receive IM notifications when a new ticket is created, updated or assigned to them.
Another good chat plugin is Quick Chat, which basically enables you to have a chatroom on your site.
WordPress chat plugin supporting private chat, chat rooms, avatars, user list, words filtering, smilies, caching plugins and more. Quick Chat is self hosted chat solution. This means that your chat messages are stored inside your local WordPress database and are totally under your control. Because of that there are no limits or monthly fees for number of chat users or messages, these are limited only by your web server capabilities.
Other Non-WordPress Solutions
One of the best non WordPress solutions is Zopim, a live support service which you can integrate into your WordPress site within 5 minutes. You just need to paste a piece of code into your template and you’re good to go. Zopim has a free entry plan that is fine for small sites, and just works brilliantly, so I highly recommend it.
Here’s a nice introduction to Zopim:
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to subscribe to WPMayor’s RSS feed.