OnTheGoSystems have just released a beta version of the drag and drop component for Toolset, named Layouts.
Layouts lets you design entire pages, from the header, through the content and down to the footer, using a drag-and-drop interface.
You can use layouts for individual pages or as templates for entire content types.
Layouts plugin is loaded with features, carefully picked to serve two goals:
- Allowing you to build everything that you need, without compromises
- Making it easy to learn to use Layouts, both for the site developer and for end-users who will maintain the site
Layouts is short on bells and whistles, but loaded with features.
Today, Layouts plugin is full working, but still in Beta. It’s been tested by the development team and is still pending complete QA.
Here are some things which are NOT ready right now, but will become complete very soon:
- Full documentation – A getting started guide and basic documentation is available.
- Complete integration with other Toolset plugins – Layouts integration with Views and CRED is limited right now. They are working on this next and building Views and CRED Layout cells. When this is ready, you will be able to design the site’s layout, as well as customize the inside of each cell, from one admin screen.
- Integration with WPML – this too is in the works. When ready, you will be able to build fully-multilingual sites with Layouts, with very little effort.
- A dedicated page, on wp-types.com, for Layouts.
The beta is out now, so that you can start experimenting with Layouts and give OnTheGoSystems your honest opinion. I gave it a spin myself and really liked the concept, I think it will tie in very well with the rest of the components in Toolset.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to subscribe to WP Mayor’s RSS feed.