In recent years eCommerce stores have become very popular making the Internet a crowded – and competitive – marketplace. eCommerce websites allow website owners to connect to customers in a very different way than traditional brick-and-mortar stores do. For starters, you can reach an unprecedented amount of customers by driving traffic to your site, promote your business via multiple social media networks, and advertise with video commercials on platforms such as Vimeo and YouTube.
Because of this, it is no wonder eCommerce store solutions designed to help your build the perfect online shop are popping up all over the place.
In the past we have discussed the essentials for building an awesome WordPress eCommerce website.
But what about the very beginning stage?
You have to have a technical platform to build your online store on. You know, a place to put your pricing tables, product images, and descriptions. And don’t forget about features such as ease of use, translation ability, product optimization, and more.
So, with all of the choices available, how are you supposed to know which one will work best for your shop’s needs?
Well luckily for you, today we will be taking a look at three of the most popular and best eCommerce store solutions available for WordPress today to help you make an informed decision. We will compare the eCommerce platforms WooCommerce, Shopify, and Wix so that when it comes time for you to build your online shop you don’t struggle so much with the first step.
WooCommerce is a highly popular eCommerce solution for building an online shop. This platform is packed with plenty of built-in features, hundreds of free and paid for WooCommerce extensions, and is designed to integrate seamlessly with all WordPress websites. Plus, it isan 100% SEO optimized for high search rankings.
WooCommerce comes out-of-the-box with a ton of helpful features that appeal to online store owners of all kinds. These features aid its popularity and easily make it the number one eCommerce solution available for WordPress today.
- Sell physical products, services, and digital downloads.
- Utilize 5 Pre-installed payment gateways including BACS, Cheques, Cash on Delivery, PayPal, and credit cards.
- Determine your shipping fees – free, flat rate, or real-time calculations.
- Configure tax rates using tax classes and local tax rates.
- Manage inventory, offer price variables, and set product types easily.
- Offer discounts and coupons.
- Enable product review system.
- View in-depth reports regarding revenue, traffic, and orders.
- WooCommerce is a free plugin available to all WordPress website owners.
- It easily installs onto your website and customization is straightforward.
- Mobile-friendly features even include the ability to turn your online shop into a mobile app with no custom coding and only a few third-party tools.
- Independent of any third-party software, WooCommerce lets you own your data and maintain complete control.
- It has been audited by the reputable leader in plugin security, Sucuri, so your data is safe.
- Take advantage of the free WooCommerce Multilingual plugin and translate your online shop’s content.
- Although free, in order to use WooCommerce on a WordPress website you must invest in a hosting service.
- Installation, activation, and store setup is on you so there is a fair amount of work to be done.
- Some premium extension purchases may be required to extend your online store’s functionality to meet your needs.
Overall, WooCommerce comes highly recommended in terms of usability, cost, and security. It provides plenty of features to build an adequate eCommerce shop without making additional purchases.
The user interface, easily accessed from your WordPress dashboard makes managing your online shop a cinch. And, with continual updates this plugin is kept secure so that you know your customers’ information is safe and secure.
In the end, there is a reason this eCommerce solution is used by so many WordPress owners.
Shopify is an eCommerce platform offering a simple way to sell anything, anywhere online. Featuring ways to sell products from your website, social media shops, or even your own physical store, this eCommerce solution definitely sets itself apart from other options.
Shopify offers a diverse set of features that make selling online a doable task.
- Over 100 professional themes to choose from for setting up shop.
- Use your own domain name or purchase one through Shopify.
- Free SSL certificate for bank level security.
- Choose from over 70 payment gateways and accept all major credit cards.
- Automatically determine tax rates depending on location.
- Encourage customer account setup so you can learn more, target specific buyers, and track orders.
- Manage your online shop on-the-go due to its mobile friendly design.
- 50+ built-in languages for easy translation of your online shop products and services.
- Get free website hosting services when you use Shopify and enjoy unlimited bandwidth and storage amounts.
- Sell your products on various social media networks including Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
- Use Shopify to sell on-the-go by accepting payments with the Shopify POS system.
- Utilize the Shopify experts to help you set up your shop from start to finish.
- Take advantage of the pre-packaged marketing campaign tools such as social media integration, Google Adwords credits, and discount codes/coupons.
- Using Shopify is not free – although they have multiple pricing plans to suit your individual needs.
- Advanced features make for a steeper learning curve than other eCommerce solutions.
- Lower plans do not allow access to some important eCommerce features such as Abandoned Cart Recovery.
Altogether, Shopify makes it easy for you to set up your online shop, manage your products, promote your business, and track your success. Setting up shop is relatively easy to do on your own with the built-in hosting and themes to choose from, though it is nice to know there is help available if needed.
If you are looking for an all-in-one eCommerce store solution, Shopify has you covered.
Wix is one the best eCommerce platforms for those new to the online shop gig. With tons of built-in features, this solution has everything you need to not only create a stunning website but add an eCommerce element to it as well.
Wix provides you the perfect platform for showcasing your products and services, complete with beautiful product pages, secure online payments, and easy-to-use email marketing. Plus, there are a ton more features to get your online shop up and running in no time.
- Multiple payment methods accepted including credit cards, PayPal, and even offline payments.
- Several built-in tools help with store building – drag & drop editor, price tables, PayPal button, and Google Maps to name a few.
- Automate your marketing campaigns, track web stats, and use Google AdSense to drive traffic.
- Connect with your customers via an email opt-in form, live chat option, or even enable the product review section.
- Share across all social media networks using feeds, buttons, coupons, and more.
- Sell products on Facebook using Ecwid, set up a digital store, and even add your Etsy store.
- Track orders, manage inventory, and create professional invoices.
- Enjoy free web hosting when you choose Wix to build your online shop.
- Create a unique eCommerce shop by enabling the one-page parallax scrolling effect.
- Pick from hundreds of built-in templates that are sure to match the store type you are building.
- Add stunning imagery to your online shop by utilizing the gallery options and provided stock images.
- Social media connection is a priority with advanced social media management tools and features.
- No commission collected by Wix for selling your products or services.
- The free Wix plan does not offer eCommerce functionality.
- The least expensive premium plan displays Wix ads on your eCommerce website.
- There is no way to modify the CSS code.
- Once a design template is chosen you cannot change it without building your online shop again from the ground up.
All in all, Wix is a well-known brand in the eCommerce shop building world. It provides the necessary functionality and design to create a great looking eCommerce shop, despite the drawbacks mentioned above. Plus, it is easy enough for even the most novice of website builders.
If you are willing to invest in this website turned eCommerce solution Wix is sure to showcase your products and encourage sales.
In the end, all three eCommerce solutions have strong points that will lend to a successful online shop. Ease of use, affordability, and design options will play a large role in your decision and laying them out for you to see was my ultimate goal.
If you are looking to create an online shop, consider using any of the above mentioned eCommerce platforms. WooCommerce, Shopify, and Wix are all reputable solutions that can display your products and services in an appealing way, collect payment from existing customers, and encourage new visitors to make a purchase.
Have you used any of the above mentioned eCommerce solutions – WooCommerce, Shopify, or Wix? What was your online shop building experience like? I would love to hear all about it in the comments below!