Stella is a new multilanguage plugin created by Theme.fm.
The best way to compare Stella and WPML is to try them out on your installations and see which one you like best. WPML has a money back policy so you can get your money back if you don’t like the plugin after testing it.
You can try out the free version of Stella from the WordPress plugin repository, the paid version does have a few more features, but the free version will allow you to get a good feel of the plugin.
The main disadvantages that Stella has when compared to WPML are:
- The plugin is still very young and not proven, whereas WPML already has thousands of clients using it successfully.
- The feature set is limited when compared to WPML.
Stella’s advantages on the other hand:
- A nice user interface, probably simpler to use out of the box than WPML.
- Less features leave a smaller footprint on your WordPress installation.
Since these are both paid plugins, the one scenario where Stella can be used instead of WPML is if you have a small site and want a quick-working multilingual plugin to get you going. Stella is cheaper and if you don’t need the multitude of features offered by WPML, Stella can be a good choice.
Keep in mind that WPML has:
- A proven client base of thousands of users
- Been used on big websites as well as small ones
- A big team committed to support and development
- Been established for many years and continuously developed.
Having said that, it’s up to you to make the final decision, both Stella and WPML are very good WordPress multilingual and translation plugins.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to subscribe to WP Mayor’s RSS feed.